Periodontal disease, typically called gum disease, is inflammation or infection of the gums. At The Sugar House Dentist in Salt Lake City, it is a treatable condition.
For the most part, periodontal disease is preventable. It is so common in the US that it has been called a ‘health crisis’ by the American Dental Association.
- If left untreated, it can cause irreversible damage such as tooth loss.
- Practicing proper dental hygiene and having 6-month dental exams are the best way to prevent periodontal disease.
- Periodontal disease can occur without the presence of dental caries.
- Almost half of all 30+ adults in the US have periodontal disease.
- In some cases, periodontal disease produces no noticeable symptoms.
Risk factors for periodontal disease include tobacco use, inadequate oral hygiene (especially failing to floss), genetics, teeth grinding, inflammatory conditions, and poor nutrition.
Even if you don’t feel any pain in your mouth, regular dental checkups are important. At The Sugar House Dentist in Salt Lake City we provide gum disease treatment, and treat other issues like receding gums and TMJ/TMD. Schedule an appointmente with us today.
Contact The Sugar House Dentist – Theurer Family Dental:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):