Our teeth work hard and are continuously under assault. It’s no wonder that nature encases them with an armor of enamel—the hardest substance in the body. Unfortunately, enamel erosion is extremely prevalent, though largely preventable. Enamel’s chief enemies are acidic foods and beverages. Other factors that can weaken enamel or wear it away are some medications, tooth grinding, acid reflux, gastrointestinal ailments, chewing ice or other hard substances, and eating disorders.
At The Sugar House Dentist – The Sugar House Dentist, we educate our patients about how to keep their enamel strong and prevent additional erosion if some has already taken place.
Here are five quick facts about enamel erosion:
1. Enamel is unlike many other tissues in the body; once it is gone, it can’t be regenerated.
2. According to the NIH, 41% of teenagers already have enamel erosion. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11132512
3. Vigorous brushing can impair enamel.
4. Diet sodas, sports drinks, and energy drinks are just as harmful as sugared sodas.
5. Dry mouth can weaken enamel because it results in less saliva which helps keep enamel healthy and strong.
If you have already experienced enamel erosion, it’s vital to halt additional erosion. There are several dental procedures that can protect the teeth that have been harmed. Call The Sugar House Dentist – The Sugar House Dentist today at 385-299-7840 to schedule an examination. Dr. Theurer will give you counsel on the best dental treatment for enamel erosion Salt Lake City.